Connect with us

Métis Nation Saskatchewan Business Magazine | Sask Métis News | Métis Nation Entrepreneurs

Métis Nation Saskatchewan Business Magazine | Sask Métis News | Métis Nation Entrepreneurs

Doug Ford’s house is up for sale. Here’s the asking price


Entrepreneurs

Doug Ford’s house is up for sale. Here’s the asking price

Premier accommodation in Toronto can be yours for a cool $3.2 million.

That’s the price Premier Doug Ford and spouse Karla Ford are asking for their six-bedroom home in a posh Etobicoke enclave near The Kingsway known as “Princess Anne Manor.”

The two-storey, 4,500-square-foot detached house with four bathrooms, an in-ground pool and a two-car garage — plus driveway parking for four more vehicles — has just been listed for $3,199,888.

Property records show the Fords, who have four adult daughters, bought the home on July 30, 1998 for $535,000. It sits on a lot measuring 63.83 feet by 120 feet.

In an interview earlier this week in Victoria, where he was attending the annual premiers’ conference, Ford said he thought it was time to move, “as my kids are getting older and they’re going to be getting married off and having grandchildren.”

The couple is moving into his late mother’s nearby home, which has sat empty since family matriarch Diane Ford died in January 2020.

“It was a family matter,” the premier told the Star on Tuesday.

“My mother had told the other siblings, ‘Doug has the biggest family,’ and I’m not getting it for free by any means. It’s like any family situation,” he said of the homestead, scene of past “Ford Fest” picnics for the family’s political supporters.

Ford launched his campaign for the Progressive Conservative leadership in the basement of his mother’s house in January 2018.

“(It) has been a great home. Over 25 to 30 years, we’ve had over 250,000 people through our backyard. My parents were very generous, no matter if it was cancer fundraisers or Rotary fundraisers or political events or kids’ graduations,” the premier said.

“It was a home that my parents opened their doors for everyone to come in and enjoy it. And they were very generous, and we’ll continue on that tradition.”

As first disclosed by the Star, Ford’s office had asked Etobicoke realtor Monica Thapar, who is selling the couple’s home, to stop using his name and image in her advertising brochures.

Thapar had distributed thousands of full-colour flyers around Toronto boasting that “we just listed Premier Doug Ford’s home in Princess Anne Manor!”

According to the realtor’s listing, which dubs the house “an executive’s residence,” property taxes on the Fords’ home, near Kipling Avenue and Eglinton Avenue West, were $11,627.57 this year.

The Most Powerful Sale & Affiliate Platform Available!

There's no credit card required! No fees ever.

Create Your Free Account Now!

While it has been the scene of numerous pandemic-related protests over the past two years as demonstrators noisily rallied against COVID-19 vaccinations and lockdown measures, the premier said that’s not why he is moving.

Last June, a 44-year-old man with a butcher’s knife was disarmed by an Ontario Provincial Police officer on the Fords’ doorstep. They were not there at the time.

The man was charged with one count of possession of a weapon and 11 counts of mischief after neighbours reported their tires had been slashed. The case is still before the courts.

One neighbour said the agitated man was yelling profane threats at Ford’s front door before the OPP officer, a member of the premier’s security detail, defused the situation.

“Thank goodness my wife wasn’t there,” Ford told the Star this week.

“But I’m grateful for the Toronto police and for the OPP. They do an incredible job. I’m just very, very grateful.”

Ford said his wife and daughters as well as his neighbours were rattled by the constant protests and felt “very, very nervous.”

“I always say, my family didn’t sign up for this. But more importantly, our neighbours never signed up for this, and my heart broke for my neighbours. They were threatened with everything from baseball bats to hockey sticks to mace to switch blades to you name it.”

Asked if he was worried about demonstrations at his new home, Ford conceded he’s “always concerned.”

The premier stressed he is “a strong believer in protest,” but not at the homes of politicians or public officials.

“No matter if you’re a medical officer of health that was being threatened, the mayor of Toronto, a minister or any premier, that’s unacceptable. We don’t operate that way — and in Canada, we shouldn’t,” he said.

“If you want to go out and protest, be it Queen’s Park or city hall, by all means. But don’t interrupt a community or a street that has numerous young kids on it. And that was unfortunate some people decided to do it.”

Robert Benzie is the Star’s Queen’s Park bureau chief and a reporter covering Ontario politics. Follow him on Twitter: @robertbenzie

Kristin Rushowy is a Toronto-based reporter covering Ontario politics for the Star. Follow her on Twitter: @krushowy

Subscribe to the newsletter news

We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe

Metis Studies

Online Entrepreneurs

Top Stories

To Top